Men's Hockey Falls Late, on the Road at Williams

Men's Hockey Falls Late, on the Road at Williams

Williamstown, Mass. - Despite taking a 1-0 lead into the third period, the Trinity College Bantams could not hang on as they fell, 3-1, to the Williams College Ephs on Friday night in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's hockey action at Lansing Chapman Rink in Williamstown. The loss drops Trinity to 10-6-3 overall and 6-5-2 in league play while Williams improves to 11-5-3 on the year and 8-2-3 in NESCAC action. With the win, Williams avenges a 3-0 loss to the Bantams earlier this season at the Koeppel Center.

The first period came and went without incident as both teams kept the puck in the neutral zone for a majority of the time. Williams held an 11-5 shot advantage in the opening frame but Bantam junior goalie Alex Morin (St. Hubert, Quebec) kept the puck out of the net, as did his counterpart, Williams sophomore Michael Pinios (Laval, Quebec), as the teams entered the first intermission tied at zeros.

Trinity struck first on a Tyler Whitney (Wakefield, Mass.) power play goal, 5:51 into the second period, to take a 1-0 lead. Williams was whistled for a roughing penalty which led to the advantage for Trinity when a shot by Bantam rookie Liam Feeney (Foxboro, Mass.) was initially saved by Pinios, however the rebound fell to Whitney who buried the puck into the open net to give the visitors the lead. Williams had a chance to answer when Trinity was whistled for a tripping penalty late in the period but the Bantam penalty kill held strong to cling to the 1-0 lead.

The hosts tied the game 6:54 into the final period on a goal by C.J. Shugart (Toronto, Ontario) after he fired a wrist shot from just inside the blue line that snuck past Morin into the back of the net. The Ephs doubled up on the first goal less than two minutes later after a Trinity shot which hit the crossbar led to a breakout by David Italiano (Toronto, Ontario) who assisted Robert Cellini (Montreal, Quebec) on Cellini's backhand that found netting. Despite owning an 11-9 shot advantage in the period, the Bantams were unable to find an equalizer before an empty net goal scored by Frankie Mork (Victoria, Minn.) with under a minute to play iced the game.

Trinity returns to action tomorrow when it faces off against the Middlebury Panthers for a 4 p.m. game at Chip Kenyon Arena in Vermont.