Men's Lacrosse Drops Non-Conference Tilt at WNE, 10-5

Men's Lacrosse Drops Non-Conference Tilt at WNE, 10-5

Springfield, Mass. – The Trinity men's lacrosse team fell, 10-5, in non-conference action to Western New England on Tuesday afternoon at Golden Bears Stadium. The Bantams move to 0-3 with the loss, while the Golden Bears (1-3) picked up their first win of the season and snapped a three-game losing streak.

WNE senior Sean Lawton lead all scorers with four points on a goal and three assists to lead the home team to victory. Justin McKinney (2 goals), Colton Craig (2 goals) and Owen Caruso (1 goal, 1 assist) also figured into the WNE offense as the senior class accounted for 10 of the team's 16 points.

Seth Bird (Concord, Mass.) came off the Trinity bench to lead the Bantams offensively with two goals and an assist. James O'Connell (Middleton, Mass.) also had a multi-point game for the visitors with a goal and a helper.

Trinity goalkeeper Makar Zaverucha kept his squad in the contest all afternoon, making 19 saves and adding a team-best four ground balls. Despite stopping 19 or more shots for the second game in a row, the Bantams junior netminder was saddled with the loss. On the other end, Brandon Body turned aside 11 shots to pick up the victory.

After the two teams traded goals to open the contest, Western New England netted four of the next five tallies to hold a 5-2 advantage heading into halftime. Junior Matthew Hauck put Trinity on the board with his sixth goal of the season to knot the contest at one just over midway through the opening quarter. Later in the first, Hauck fired a shot that beat Body, but hit the post and flew out of the Golden Bears zone.

In the second half, Trinity was unable to break through as WNE outscored the Bantams, 5-3, to escape with the triumph.

The difference in the game was the faceoff battle, which saw Western New England win 14-of-19. Both teams committed 17 turnovers and Trinity was 15-of-23 on clears. The Bantams struggled to get the ball out of their zone in the first half going 6-of-13, but did a much better job over the second 30 minutes going 9-of-10.

Trinity returns to action on Saturday, Mar. 15, traveling to Maine to square off with Bates in NESCAC action.