Men's Lacrosse Falls on the Road to No. 11 Ranked Wesleyan

Men's Lacrosse Falls on the Road to No. 11 Ranked Wesleyan

Hartford, Conn. – The Wesleyan University Cardinals outscored the Trinity College Bantams, 10-5, in the second half en route to a 13-7 victory on Tuesday evening in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's lacrosse action in Middletown. The loss drops Trinity to 3-8 overall and 0-6 in conference play while Wesleyan improves to 10-1 on the year and 6-1 in league action.

Trinity scored the first two goals of the game to take an early 2-0 lead thanks to scores by first-year Teddy Myers (Washington, D.C.) and sophomore Ben Knaus (Ross, Calif.). Wesleyan responded at the 8:11 mark when Carter Hawthorne (Massapequa, N.Y.) found Grey Bradshaw-Mack (Weston, Conn.) for the Cardinals first goal of the game. Minutes later, Hawthorne connected with Taylor Ghesquire (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) as the Cardinals knotted the game at 2-2 after the first 15 minutes of action.

The second quarter was a defensive battle that featured just one goal, via Wesleyan junior Cole Turpin (New Canaan, Conn.), with 11:09 left on the clock to give the hosts their first lead of the game. Neither team found the back of the net the rest of the half as the Cardinals held the 3-2 lead at the break.

The Bantams came out strong to start the second half as Knaus scored three times in the first 3:01 of second half action to put Trinity back ahead, 5-3. Wesleyan came back with a big rally, scoring six unanswered goals to close out the quarter. Tom Dupont (Cheshire, Conn.) scored three times during the run and dished out an assist as well to help give the Cardinals a 9-5 lead heading into the final quarter.

Trinity got within two with goals at the 10:27 and 9:11 marks from Myers and junior John Caraviello (Wellesley, Mass.), respectively, but the Cardinals finished the game on a four-goal run to claim the 13-7 victory.

Wesleyan held a commanding 42-23 edge in ground balls on the evening and outshot Trinity, 56-26. Bantam junior goalie Woody Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass.) had a stellar game between the pipes for the Bantams, finishing with 20 saves despite the loss.