Men's Lacrosse Falls to No. 11-Ranked Amherst on Senior Day

Co-captain Aidan Keohane '17
Co-captain Aidan Keohane '17

Hartford, Conn. - Despite opening up a 5-0 lead in the second quarter, the Trinity College Bantams fell to the Amherst College Mammoths on Wednesday evening in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's lacrosse action at Jessee/Miller Field on Trinity's campus in Hartford. The loss drops Trinity to 5-10 overall and 1-9 in conference play while No. 11-ranked Amherst improves to 12-3 on the year and 8-2 in league action.

On a night where the Bantams honored their senior class before the game, the team's final one at home this season, three Trinity players paced the offense with two goals each. Sophomores Ben Knaus (Ross, Calif.), Max Herman (San Francisco, Calif.) and first-year Matt Gardiner (Potomac, Md.) each found the back of the net twice while Gardiner and Knaus also added an assist each. Junior goalie Woody Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass.) stopped 17 shots between the pipes for Trinity despite the loss and also scooped up four ground balls, a team-high. 

The Mammoths were led by Jimmy McAfee (Perrineville, N.J.) who led all players with three goals while Evan Wolf (Wynnewood, Pa.), Brett Inglesby (Danville, Calif.) and Brogan Mahon (Garden City, N.Y.) each found the back of the net twice. Wolf also was on the giving end of a three Amherst scores. Starting goalie Cody Tranbarger (Louisville, Ky.) made 15 saves in his 12th win of the season while Amherst dominated in the faceoff circle, winning 20-of-27, led by Dylan Finazzo (Bohemia, N.Y.) who went 16-for-21.

Trinity got things going with a goal by first-year Andrew Collins (Brookfield, Conn.), the first of his career, which came at the 9:25 mark in the first quarter. After nearly five minutes without a score, sophomore Ben MacShane (Concord, Mass.) beat Tranbarger to make it a 2-0 game before Knaus tallied his first goal of the game with 3:36 remaining in the quarter to put the Bantams up 3-0 after one.

Herman got involved in the scoring at the 10:40 mark in the second quarter thanks to an assist by junior John Caraviello (Wellesley, Mass.) before another goal by Knaus opened up a five-goal advantage for Trinity. Amherst finally ended the run with 8:38 to go in the half as Mahon found the back of the net, but the Bantams went tit-for-tat with the Mammoths the rest of the half to preserve a four-goal lead at intermission. Herman and Gardiner scored for Trinity between Mammoth scores by McAfee and Ian Kadish (Salt Lake City, Utah), the latter of which came with just 29 seconds left before the half.

Amherst outscored Trinity, 10-3, in the second half to escape with the victory. Max Keeley (Eureka, Mo.), McAfee and Wolf scored unanswered to open the third quarter before Gardiner thwarted the run with a goal at the 7:29 mark, the final score by either side in the third frame.

The Mammoths put the game away with seven-straight goals in the fourth quarter to open up a 13-8 lead with 2:38 to play. Caraviello and senior Gus Ackley (Columbus, Ohio) both tallied goals with less than a minute to play to make things interesting, but the Amherst lead proved too much as the Bantams fell, 13-10.