Trinity Men's Squash Defeats Harvard In CSA National Championship Semifinals
Princeton, N.J. – First-year Moustafa Hamada (Alexandria, Va.) got his team off to a quick start with the only 3-0 win of the match, as the visiting Trinity College Bantams posted a 6-3 victory over the Harvard University Crimson in the College Squash Association (CSA) Semifinals this afternoon at Princeton University’s Jadwin Courts. Thirteen-time defending national champion Trinity, ranked No. 1 in the nation and seeded No. 1 in the tournament, improves to 18-1 with its 10th consecutive triumph and advances to the CSA Finals tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. against the host Princeton Tigers. No. 4-seeded Harvard ends its season at 15-4. No. 2-seeded Princeton downed No. 6-seeded Cornell, 7-2, in the other semifinal today.
Hamada’s win gave Trinity a 1-0 lead and the teams split the other matches of the first wave for a 2-1 Bantam lead one-third of the way through. Trinity senior co-captain Antonio Diaz-Gonzalez (Mexico City, Mexico) came through with a 3-2 win in the No. 2 match, coming back from a 2-1 deficit to take the fourth game, 11-5, and the fifth game, 11-7. Junior Johan Detter (Malmoe, Sweden) won at No. 5, fighting back from a 2-0 hole to win, 13-11, in game three and take the final two games by a combined score of 22-8, and sophomore Matthew Mackin (Greenwich, Conn.) stayed perfect for the season at 17-0 in the No. 8 match to allow Trinity to clinch the win early.
Junior Juan Flores (San Salvador, El Salvador) won, 3-1, in the No. 6 position to account for Trinity’s sixth points and freshman Miled Zarazua (Mexico City, Mexico) had earned a 3-2 win in the No. 3 match for Trinity’s second point of the day.
1. H- Ali Faraq d. Vikram Malhotra, 2-11, 11-8, 6-11, 11-9, 11-3
2. TC- Antonio Diaz-Gonzalez d. Brandon McLaughlin, 11-8, 7-11, 9-11, 11-5, 11-7
3. TC- Miled Zarazua d. Gary Power, 5-11, 11-8, 5-11, 11-6, 11-9
4. H- Nick Hopcroft d. Reinhold Hergeth, 11-8, 4-11, 12-10, 11-9
5. TC- Johan Detter d. Tyler Olson, 6-11, 9-11, 13-11, 11-5, 11-3
6. H- Nigel Koh d. Vrishab Kotian, 11-4, 11-8, 9-11, 5-11, 14-12
7. TC- Juan Flores d. Zeke Scherl, 6-11, 11-9, 11-7, 15-13
8. TC- Matthew Mackin d. Jason Michas, 12-10, 6-11, 14-12, 11-9
9. TC- Moustafa Hamada d. Thomas Mullaney, 11-5, 11-8, 14-12
Trinity (Conn.) 6, Harvard 3