Hartford, Conn. - The visiting Bates College Bobcats posted a 6-3 victory over the Trinity College Bantams in men's tennis action this afternoon at Assaiante Center. The Bantams, ranked No. 7 in the Northeast and No. 24 in the nation, close the regular season at 9-7 overall and 5-4 in the NESCAC. Bates, ranked No. 5 in the Northeast and No. 15 nationally, improves to 8-6 overall and 3-3 in the league.
Trinity freshmen Dan Carpenter (Wayzata, Minn.) and Ilya Levin (Wellesley, Mass.) earned the lone doubles point for the home team with an 8-3 win at the No. 3 spot. Leading, 2-1, Bates won three of the first four singles matches to clinch the decision early. Carpenter also won at No. 6 singles, in dominant fashion, 6-0, 6-0, while classmate Ned Mandel (Chevy Chase, Md.) recorded a 6-4, 7-5 triumph at No. 5 singles.
1. B- Tim Berg d. Anson McCook, 6-4, 6-4
2. B- Matt Bettles d. Kayong Lee, 6-3, 6-1
3. B- Rob Crampton d. Jugal Marfatia, 6-1, 6-3
4. B- Pierra Planche d. Charles MacConnell, 6-4, 6-4
5. TC- Ned Mandel d. Jeff Beaton, 6-4, 7-5
6. TC- Dan Carpenter d. Dylan Reffe, 6-0, 6-0
1. B- Bettles/Crampton d. Mandel/McCook, 8-3
2. B- Berg/Planche d. Lee/McConnell, 8-3
3. TC- Carpenter/IlyaLevin d. Peter Yanofsky/Kyle DeSisto, 8-3
Bates 6, Trinity (Conn.) 3