Trinity Men's Tennis Suffers Close Loss To No. 8-Ranked Whitman In First Dual Match
Whittier, Calif. - The Trinity College Bantams lost their first men's tennis dual match of the 2011-12 season, 5-3, against Whitman College, 5-3, on the tennis courts of Pomona-Pitzer. No. 8-ranked Whitman improves to 15-3 with its 15th win in a row. The Bantams, ranked No. 5 in the Northeast and No. 19 nationally, face No. 25-ranked Kalamazoo tomorrow afternoon on the Pomona-Pitzer courts.
Trinity senior tri-captain Charles McConnell (New York, N.Y.) and freshman Dan Carpenter (Wayzata, Minn.) hung a 9-8 loss on Whitman's Andrew La Cava and Jeff Tolman at No. 2 doubles, but Connor Holton-Burke and Matt Tesmond returned the favor at first doubles against Trinity senior tri-captain Anson McCook (Miami, Fla.) and Ned Mandel (Chevy Chase, Md.) by the same score, and added an 8-4 triumph in the No. 3 doubles match.
McCook and sophomore Kayong Lee (Villanova, Pa.) won in straight sets at the top-two singles sports to give Trinity a 3-2 lead overall, but Whitman senior Adriel Borshanksy won, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 singles, and Bantam junior Juga Marfatia (Surat, India) was outdueled, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 in the No. 3 singles match to give the advantage back to Whitman. James Rivers clinched the decision with a 6-2, 7-5 triumph oer McConnell at No. 5 singles. McCook's 6-1, 6-4 win came over La Cava, currently ranked No. 7 in the nation among singles players.
1. TC- Anson McCook d. Andrew La Cava, 6-1, 6-4
2. TC- Kayong Lee d. Jeff Tolman, 6-4, 6-1
3. W- Connor Holton-Burke d. Jugal Marfatia, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. W- James Rivers d. Charles McConnell, 6-2, 7-5
6. W- Adriel Borshansky d. Daniel Carpenter, 6-2, 6-0
1. W- Holton-Burke/Matt Tesmond d. McCook/Ned Mandel, 9-8
2. TC- Carpenter/McConnell d. Tolman/La Cava, 9-8
3. W- Sam Sadeghi/Rivers d. Musyoka Mbithi/Ilya Levin, 8-4
Whitman 5, Trinity (Conn.) 3