Orange, Calif. - First-year Musyoka Mbithi (Orange, N.J.) won in straight sets at No. 6 singles and earned an 8-1 doubles victory at the No. 2 position with senior tri-captain Dill Ayres (Laurel Hollow, N.Y.), as the visiting Trinity College Bantams downed the Chapman University Panthers in men's tennis action this afternoon. Trinity, ranked No. 5 in the Northeast and No. 19 in the nation, closes its spring-break trip to California with a 3-3 record, while Chapman drops to 4-7 with its third loss in a row.
Doubles came down to a tie-break battle on the No. 1 court between Chapman partners junior Dylan Tevlin and senior Alex Klein against Trinity senior tri-captain Anson McCook (Miami, Fla.) and rookie Ned Mandel (Chevy Chase, Md.). Trinity took the tiebreaker with a 9-8 victory, helping the Bantams to a 2-1 scoring edge heading into singles play. Sophomore Kayong Lee (Villanova, Pa.) at No. 2, senior tri-captain Charles McConnell (New York, N.Y.) at No. 4, and freshman Musyoka Mbithi (Orange, N.J.) at No. 6 earned straight-set triumphs to clinch the match early for the Bantams.
1. TC- Anson McCook d. Justin Thompson, 6-7, 6-3, 6-4
2. TC- Kayong Lee d. Dylan Tevlin, 6-1, 6-1
3. TC- Jugal Marfatia d. Andre Herd, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. TC- Charles McConnell d. Alex Klein, 6=2, 7-5
5. C- Kyle Coates d. Dan Carpenter, 3-6, 7-6 (10-2)
6. TC- Musyoka Mbithi d. Sam Farzani, 6-3, 6-1
1. TC- Ned Mandel/McCook d. Klein/Tevlin, 9-8
2. C- Thompson/Chris Williams d. Carpenter/MConnell, 8-4
TC- Dill Ayres/Mbithi d. Herd/Kevin Smyth, 8-1