Ewing, N.J. - The visiting Trinity College Bantams lost, 5-4, against the College of New Jersey Lions in men's tennis action this afternoon. Trinity, ranked No. 8 in the Northeast, falls to 4-4, while the Lions stay perfect at 8-0.
Trinity sophomore Ned Mandel (Chevy Chase, Md.) and first-year Ford Traff (Wayzata, Minn.) won, 8-6, at No. 3 singles, but the Bantams lost the other two doubles points. In singles,. Traff, fellow rookie Aaron Segel (Needham, Mass.) and sophomore No. 1 Dan Carpenter (Wayzata, Minn.) won singles matches for Trinity, but senior T.J. Riley (Mt. Laurel, N.J.) won the deciding match, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 at second singles that gave the Lions the win.
1. TC- Daniel Carpenter d. Marc Nichols, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
2. NJ- T.J. Riley d. Musyoka Mbithi, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. NJ- Jack August d. Ned Mandel, 0-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. TC- Ford Traff d. Billy Buchbinder, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
5. TC- Aaron Segel d. Howard Telson, 7-6, 6-1
6. NJ- Pierce Cooper d. Jordan Kemp, 6-1, 6-3
1. NJ- Nichols/Telson d. Mbithi/David Myers, 8-4
2. NJ- Buchbinder/Jordan Cruz d. Carpenter/Segel, 8-3
3. TC- Mandel/Traff d. Cooper/Riley, 8-6