Trinity Men's Tennis Shines In Doubles Despite Loss To No. 5-Ranked Bowdoin
Claremont, Calif. - The Trinity College Bantams succumbed to the Bowdoin College Polar Bears, 6-3, in a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's tennis match this afternoon at the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges. Trinity, ranked No. 7 in the Northeast, drops to 2-2 overall and 0-1 in the NESCAC, while the Polar Bears, ranked No. 3 in the Northeast and No. 5 nationally, improve to 5-2 overall and 1-0 in the league.
Trinity led, 2-1, after doubles play, as the sophomore tandem of Musyoka Mbithi (Orange, N.J.) and David Myers (Winnetka, Ill.) doubled up Polar Bear sophomores Doug Caplan and Kyle Wolstencroft at first doubles by a score of 8-4, and Bantam sophomore Dan Carpenter (Wayzata, Minn.) and first-year Aaron Segel (Needham, Mass.) did the same at the No. 2 spot. Wolstencroft won at No. 5 singles for Bowdoin to tie the match at 2-2, but Trinity sophomore No. 4 Ilya Levin (Wellesley, Mass.) blasted Bowdoin's Chris Lord, 6-2, 6-2, to give the lead back to the Bantams, 3-2, with four singles matches remaining. The Polar Bears rattled off wins in all four, including three in straight sets, to put the decision away.
1. B- Noah Bragg d. Daniel Carpenter, 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
2. B- Casey Grindon d. Musyoka Mbithi, 6-1, 6-2
3. B- Samuel King d. Ned Mandel, 6-3, 6-2
4. TC- Ilya Levin d. Chris Lord, 6-2, 6-2
5. B- Kyle Wolstencroft d. Ford Traff, 6-2, 6-1
6. B- Chase Savage d. Aaron Segel, 6-2, 6-1
1. TC- Mbithi/David Myers d. Doug Caplan/Wolstencroft, 8-4
2. TC- Segel/Carpenter d. Samuel King/Bragg, 8-4
3. B- Savage/Luke Trinka d. Levin/Mandel, 8-2
Bowdoin 6, Trinity (Conn.) 3