Trinity Men's Tennis Edges Occidental In Final California Match
Los Angeles, Calif. - First-year Aaron Segel (Needham, Mass.) teamed with sophomore Dan Carpenter (Wayzata, Minn.) for an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles, and followed up with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 5 singles to lead the visiting Trinity College Bantams past the Occidental College Tigers in men's tennis action this afternoon. Trinity, ranked No. 7 in the Northeast, closes its spring trip to California with a 4-3 mark, while the Tigers drop to 3-5 with their second setback in a row.
Carpenter/Segel and the sophomore No. 3 doubles tandem of Ilya Levin (Wellesley, Mass.) and Ned Mandel (Chevy Chase, Md.) both posted 8-4 wins to give the Bantams a 2-1 lead entering singles play. Five singles matches were won in straight sets and none of the five were close as the combined score was 60-16. Josh Dancy edged Carpenter at No. 1 singles in a tiebreaker, but wins at the bottom three spots by Levin and rookies Ford Traff (Wayzata, Minn.) and Segel sealed the victory for Trinity.
1. O- Dan Carpenter d. Josh Dancy, 4-6, 7-6, 10-5
2. O- Steve Perkins d. Musyoka Mbithi, 6-4, 6-0
3. O- Jordan Brown d. Ned Mandel, 6-2, 6-0
4. TC- Ilya levin d. Kevin Siebs, 6-2, 6-0
5. TC- Ford Traff d. Jamie Grossman, 6-0, 6-1
6. TC- Aaron Segel d. David Cotton, 6-1, 6-2
1. O- Brown/Dancy d. Mbithi/David Myers, 8-5
2. TC- Carpenter/Segel d. Grossman/Perkins, 8-4
3. TC- Levin/Mandel d. Avery Howard/Siebs, 8-4
Trinity (Conn.) 5, Occidental 4