Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College men's tennis team cruised to an 8-1 victory over the Springfield College Pride on Wednesday afternoon at the Assaiante Tennis Center on Trinity's campus in the team's 2017 home opener. Trinity was led by senior tri-captain Jagger Riefler (Wimbledon, England) who dropped just one set in singles action while classmate Phillip Winser (St. Lazare, Quebec) won, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 6. Senior tri-captain William Boyd (Hillsborough, Calif.) and junior Rex Glickman (Chappaqua, N.Y.) won in the top doubles spot, as did senior tri-captan Rutendo Matingo (Weston, Mass.) and rookie Courtland Boyle (Pembroke, Mass.) in the No. 3 doubles spot.
Trinity returns to action on Sunday when they play hosts to New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) opponent Tufts at 1:00 p.m.
1. TC - Rutendo Matingo d. Tanner DeVarennes, 4-6, 6-3, 11-4
2. TC - Rex Glickman d. Alex Romaine, 6-1, 6-3
3. TC - William Boyd d. Court Honda, 2-6, 6-2, 10-4
4. TC - Kyle Scheffers d. Justin Danielewicz, 6-2, 6-2
5. TC - Jagger Riefler d. Kyle Beynor, 6-1, 6-0
6. TC - Phillip Winser d. Cameron Grant, 6-2, 6-1
1. TC - Boyd/Glickman d. Romaine/Honda, 9-7
2. SC- DeVarennes/Danielewicz d. Riefler/Scheffers, 9-7
3. TC - Matingo/Boyle d. Beynor/Grant, 8-2
Trinity (Conn.) 8, Springfield 1