Hartford, Conn. - The visiting Tufts University Jumbos came away with a 5-4 victory against the Trinity College Bantams in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's tennis action this afternoon at Assaiante Center. Trinity drops to 4-4 overall and 0-2 in the NESCAC, while the No. 19-ranked Jumbos are now 5-3 overall and 2-1 in the league.
Trinity led, 2-1, after doubles play thanks to an 8-4 win by senior captains William Boyd (Hillsborough, Calif.) and Rutendo Matingo (Weston, Mass.) at the No. 1 spot and an 8-5 win by senior tri-captain Jagger Reifler (Wimbledon, England) and junior Kyle Scheffers (Flossmoor, Ill.) at the No. 2 position. Matingo and Riefler also posted singles wins for Trinity, both in straight sets, but Jumbo sophomore Ross Kamin (Longmeadow, Mass.) ousted Bantam senior Phillip Winser (St. Lazare, Quebec) on a tiebreaker, 6-2, 6-7 (3), 6-0 to give the visitors four singles wins and a 5-4 team victory.
1. TC- William Boyd/Rutendo Matingo d. Griffin Brockman/Rohan Gupte, 8-4
2. TC- Jagger Riefler/Kyle Scheffers d. Ben Battle/Zack Shaff, 8-5
3. TU- Nathan Niemec/Ross Kamin d. Courtland Boyle/Phillip Winser, 8-3
1. TC- Matingo d. Dan Coran, 6-3, 6-1
2. TU- Niemec d. Boyd, 6-4, 6-4
3. TC- Scheffers d. Kevin Kelly, 6-4, 6-2
4. TU- Ethan Chen d. Riefler, 6-1, 7-5
5. TU- Benjaim Biswas d. Winser, 6-2, 6-7 (3), 6-0
6. TU- Kamin d. Chris Caskin, 6-3, 6-0
Tufts 5, Trinity (Conn.) 4