Trinity Women's Ice Hockey Shocks Connecticut College In Overtime

Hannah Oganeku '28 scored the game-winner in overtime on a rebound of her own shot
Hannah Oganeku '28 scored the game-winner in overtime on a rebound of her own shot

Hartford, Conn. – Junior goaltender Sydney Belinskas (Port Orange, Fla.) saved all 50 shots she faced and classmate Hannah Oganeku (Castle Pines, Colo.) scored the game's only goal to lead the Trinity College Bantams to a 1-0 overtime victory against the visiting Connecticut College Camels in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) women's ice hockey action this afternoon at Williams Rink.  Trinity wins its third game in a row and snaps a four-game winless streak against Connecticut College, while knocking the Camels out of first place in the NESCAC.  The Bantams are now 5-10-2 overall and 4-5-1 in the NESCAC with a two-game series at home against conference rival Williams this weekend, and Connecticut College falls to 11-6-2 overall and 7-4 in the league.

Oganeku potted the clincher during a power play with 3:35 left in the five-minute overtime, rocketing a shot from straight-on that was saved by Connecticut College senior goalie Katherine Chester (Mendham, N.J.) but trickled away to the backstop's right, and slipping the rebound into the upper left corner.  Banta junior defender Delaney Harrop (Walpole, Mass.) and first-year forward Olivia White (Oakville, Ontario) were credited with assists on the play. 

Belinskas kept the Bantams in the game with 22 saves in the opening period and 14 in each of the next two, as the home team did not put its first shot on net until Chester saved an attempt by Trinity junior forward Kelcie Finn (Weymouth, Mass.) a few minutes into the second frame.  Belinskas and the Bantam blue liners fought off a 5x3 advantage for Connecticut College in the first period, and she made a game-saving, one-on-one stop against Camel freshman forward Lauren Helm (Frisco, Texas) with 6:30 left in the third frame after Helm had stolen the puck from the Trinity defense.  Belinskas' 50 saves was a career-high and the shutout win was the first for Trinity this winter.  Chester totaled 13 stops for the Camels. 

Trinity totaled three shots in the second period but had 10 after that, and was penalized eight times for 16 minutes.  Senior forward Kate Fraley (Edina, Minn.) almost scored on a deflection six minutes into the third period on a Trinity power play and Finn tried to one-time a shot from close past Chester with eight minutes left in regulation, but the Camel netminder saved both tries.  Connecticut College did not commit any for the game's first 41:30, but finished with six penalties for 12 minutes the rest of the way including a costly body checking call with 32 seconds left in the third period that set the Bantams up with a 4x3 advantage heading into overtime.  Trinity capitalized, as Oganeku's game-winner came with three seconds left in the game's final power play.