Women's Lacrosse Clips Colby in Double-Overtime Thriller

Kiley Coffey '19
Kiley Coffey '19

Waterville, Maine - Junior Abby McInerney (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) scored the game-winner 28 seconds into the second overtime period to lift the Trinity College women's lacrosse team to an 8-7 win over New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) foe Colby on Friday afternoon at a cold Bill Alfond Field in Waterville. The win is No. 3-ranked Trinity's third-straight to start the season as they remain perfect in league play, while Colby falls to 1-2 overall and 0-2 in NESCAC action. 

Colby got on the scoreboard first, finding the back of the net just 44 seconds into the game on a goal by Gemma Bready (Newbury, N.H.) to take an early 1-0 lead. Trinity answered with three scores of its own, including two within a 3:24 span. Senior captain Clare Lyne (Concord, Mass.) evened the score at 1-1 thanks to the first of two assists on the day from junior Georgia Mergner (West Caldwell, N.J.).  Goals by Grace O'Donnell (Yarmouth, Maine) and Kiley Coffey (West Newbury, Mass.) followed to open up a 3-1 Bantam lead with 16:46 remaining in the opening stanza. Mule junior Sasha Fritts (Darien, Conn.) cut the deficit to one with 6:44 left in the half on a free-position attempt before a goal by Kendall Smith (Glen Ridge, N.J.) with 46 seconds remaining in the first half evened the game at 3-3 as the teams entered the break.

Smith and Fritts picked up in the second half where they left off in the first as each found the back of the net in the first two minutes to give Colby a 5-3 advantage. Coffey responded for the Bantams in a big way with back-to-back scores, the first via Mergner's second assist of the day, to re-tie the game once again. Senior co-captain Karly Simpson (South Hadley, Mass.) converted a free-position attempt into a goal just two minutes before Mergner scored for the first time this spring as Trinity jumped out to a 7-5 lead with 16:38 to play. Bready scored for the second time on the afternoon with 11:17 remaining in regulation to cut the deficit to one for the Mules. With just under five minutes to play, Colby found the equalizer as Fritts netted her third score of the day for the hat trick, as the game would need overtime to settle a winner.

Trinity junior goalie Zoe Ferguson (Ridgewood, N.J.), who finished with 14 saves, came up with a clutch save on a Colby free-position shot in overtime to keep the Bantams alive. After three minutes of scoreless action, the teams switched sides entering the second overtime period. Trinity controlled the ball in the attacking zone before Simpson dished a nice pass to McInerney who found space in front of the net and took care of business to send the Bantams home victorious.

Trinity returns to action on Tuesday in Nashville, Tennessee as the team heads south for its spring break. The Bantams will play two games while in The Volunteer State, one against Ithaca on Tuesday and one versus Dickinson on Thursday.