Women's Soccer Cruises Past Colby

Sarah Connors '18 found the back of the net late in the first half to seal the Bantams 3-1 victory
Sarah Connors '18 found the back of the net late in the first half to seal the Bantams 3-1 victory

Hartford, Conn.  – The Trinity College women's soccer squad knocked off the Colby College Mules, 3-1, on Saturday afternoon behind three first-half scores by three different players. Trinity improves to 3-1-2 overall and 2-1 in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) play while Colby falls to 2-3 on the year and 0-3 in conference play.

Colby had a great scoring chance early in the first half as a shot by Lindsay Ayers (Lewisburg, Pa.) was saved by Bantam junior goalie Julia Pitino (Littleton, Mass.) but the rebound landed at the feet of Aliza Van Leesten (New Haven, Conn.). Van Leesten ripped a shot towards net but was blocked by the Trinity defense. Trinity junior Taylor Kirchgessner (Southampton, N.Y.) put the home team on the board first with her third goal in two games. Senior Nicole Stauffer (Cheshire, Conn.) dropped a pass to Kirchgessner in front of Colby's box and Kirchgessner took care of the rest to give Trinity a 1-0 lead with 32 minutes to go in the half. The Bantams nearly had its second goal when senior tri-captain Kendra Lena (Madison, Conn.) served up a beautiful corner kick that found first-year Tricia Pollock (Beverly, Mass.) right in front of the Mules net. Pollock blasted a shot from point blank but Colby goalie Sam Rizzo (Swampscott, Mass.) made a great save to keep the deficit at one. 

Trinity found the back of the net for the second time after a long pass from Kirchgessner to senior tri-captain Laura Nee (Duxbury, Mass.) found Nee one-one with Rizzo. Nee dribbled around a diving Rizzo and scored off her left foot to put the Bantams up two with just under 20 minutes to play in the half. Junior Sarah Connors (Winnetka, Ill.) gave the home team a 3-0 lead as she scored her first goal of the season on a header off a corner just a few minutes later.

The Mules cut into Trinity's lead less than two minutes into the second half after Laura Arnold (Dallas, Texas) sent a through ball to a streaking Emily Martin (Bethesda, Md.) who beat Pitino and put the ball into the right-side lower 90 for the first Colby score. That was as close as the Mules would get, however, as the Bantam defense held strong for the rest of the half to seal the 3-1 victory.

Trinity returns to action on Wednesday for a non-conference matchup at home against Wheaton. Game time is set for 4 p.m.