Trinity Women's Squash Upends No. 3 Penn, Pelaez Clinches Last Point In Final Match
Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College women's squash team defeated the visiting University of Pennsylvania Quakers, 5-4, this afternoon at Kellner Squash Center. Trinity, ranked No. 5 nationally, improves to 11-2, while the Quakers fall to 4-2 with their first loss in three matches. The victory gives Trinity Head Coach Wendy Bartlett 300 wins in her Trinity career.
Trinity trailed, 2-1, after the first wave, as senior co-captain Alicia Rodriguez (San Luis Potosi, Mexico) handed Pia Trikha her first loss of the season, 3-1, in the No. 3 match to account for the first Bantam point. After a 3-0 win by Penn's Courtney Jones in the No. 5 match over Bantam freshman Natalie Babjukova (Prague, Czech Republic), Trinity junior Robyn Hodgson (Aberdeen, Scotland) came back from a 2-0 deficit to win the last three games, 11-8, 13-11, and, 11-9 over Colleen Fehm in the No. 8 match to make the overall score, 3-2, in the visitors' favor. Bantam sophomore No. 2 player Wee Nee Low (Penang, Malaysia) tied the match with a thrilling, 3-2 triumph over Nabilla Ariffin.
Trinity first-year Ashley Tidman (Lamor Plage, France) and Penn's Leslie Gill traded traded victories in the No. 4 and No. 7 matches, respectively, before Bantam sophomore No. 1 Catalina Pelaez (Bogota, Colombia) dusted Quaker junior Rachel Goh, 11-2, 11-8, 11-4, in the deciding match.
1. TC- Catalina Pelaez d. Rachel Goh, 11-2, 11-8, 11-4
2. TC- Wee Nee Low d. Nabilla Ariffin, 3-2
3. TC- Alicia Rodriguez d. Pia Trikha, 3-1
4. TC- Ashley Tidman d. Yarden Odinak, 11-5, 12-14, 11-4, 11-8
5. P- Courtney Jones d. Natalie Babjukova, 11-5, 11-7, 11-5
6. P- Stephanie Vogel d. Jennifer Pelletier, 11-7, 11-3, 12-10
7. P- Leslie Gill d. Andrea Echeverria, 11-9, 11-6, 11-2
8. TC- Robyn Hodgson d. Colleen Fehm, 13-15, 4-11, 11-8, 13-11, 11-9
9. P- Chloe Blacker d. Pamela Jimenez, 11-6, 11-5, 13-15, 12-10
Trinity (Conn.) 5, Pennsylvania 4