Trinity Women's Squash Falls Short At No. 2-Ranked Harvard
Cambridge, Mass. - Sophomore Natalie Babjukova (Prague, Czech Republic) preserved her perfect 16-0 record with a 3-1 win at the No. 6 position, but the visiting Trinity College Bantams succumbed to the Harvard University Crimson, 7-2, in women's squash action this evening at Murr Courts. Trinity, ranked No. 4 in the nation, drops to 14-2 with its first loss in seven matches, while No. 2-ranked Harvard improves to 10-1.
Trailing, 1-0, Babjukova tied the contest with a 5-11, 11-6, 11-9, 11-9 win over Natasha Kingshott. Haley Mendez edged Trinity junior No. 3 Wee Nee Low (Penang, Malaysia), 3-2, to give the Crimson a 2-1 lead, and the second wave belonged to the home team with three consecutive 3-1 triumphs to put the match away. Four of Harvard's points came in matches where the Trinity player won the opening game. Bantam rookie Sachika Balvani (Mumbai, India) came back from a 2-0 deficit to take the No. 7 match late, while classmate Kanzy El Defrawy (Cairo, Egypt) suffered the first loss of career, 3-1, at the top of the lineup to sophomore Amanda Sobhy who has not lost as a collegian.
1. H- Amanda d. Kanzy El Defrawy, 6-11, 11-2, 11-6, 11-3â€¨
2. H- Laura Gemmell d. Catalina Pelaez, 12-10, 10-12, 11-8, 11-7â€¨
3. H- Haley Mendez d. Wee Nee Low, 9-11, 11-7, 11-7, 6-11, 11-3â€¨
4. H- Michelle Gemmell d. Ashley Tidman, 11-8, 13-11, 11-6
5. H- Saumya Karki d. Robyn Hodgson, 8-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-9â€¨
6. TC- Natalie Babjukova d. Natasha Kingshott, 5-11, 11-6, 11-9, 11-9
7. TC- Sachika Balvani d. Sarah Mumanachit, 9-11, 5-11, 11-5, 11-5, 11-8â€¨
8. H- Julianne Chu d. Jennifer Pelletier, 9-11, 11-8, 12-10, 11-8
9. H- Isabelle Dowling d. Chanel Erasmus, 11-7, 13-11, 11-7
Harvard 7, Trinity (Conn.) 2