Trinity Women's Tennis Defeats Brandeis For Fourth Straight Win
Hartford, Conn. - Junior Senzo Mauve-Maphisa (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe) teamed with first-year Morgan Feldman (Upper Brookville, N.Y.) for an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles, and dominated the No. 5 singles match with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph to lead the Trinity College Bantams to a 7-2 victory over the visiting Brandeis University Judges in women's tennis action this afternoon at Assaiante Center. Trinity, ranked No. 7 in the Northeast and No. 21 in the nation, improves to 9-4 with its fourth win in a row, while the Judges drop to 7-7.
Trinity led, 2-1, after doubles play as senior co-captain Hillary Hoyt (New York, N.Y.) and first-year Melita Ferjanic (Samobor, Croatia) won, 8-3, at first doubles for the Bantams. Hoyt, Cherna, and Mauve-Maphisa won singles matches in straight sets, while Feldman recovered from a 7-5 loss in the first set of the No. 3 match to take the next two, 6-1, 6-1. Bantam senior co-captain Frances Cameron (Mill Valley, N.Y.) won the No. 6 match with a 10-8 win in the tiebreaker.
1. B - Carley Cooke d. Melita Ferjanic, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
2. TC - Hillary Hoyt d. Faith Broderick, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
3. TC - Morgan Feldman d. Allyson Bernstein, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
4. TC - Regan Cherna d. Simone Vandroff, 6-2, 6-1
5. TC - Senzo Mauve d. Roberta Bergstein, 6-1, 6-2
6. TC - Frances Cameron d. Alexa Katz, 6-1, 4-6, (10-8)
1. TC - Ferjanic/Hoyt d. Broderick/Cooke, 8-3
2. TC - Feldman/Maphisa d. Bergstein/Vandroff, 8-1
3. B - Lazar/Bernstein d. Cherna/Gerber, 9-7
Trinity (Conn.) 7, Brandeis 2