Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College Bantams were edged out by the visiting Tufts University Jumbos, 5-4, in a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) women's tennis match this afternoon at Assaiante Center. Trinity, ranked No. 21 in the nation, drops to 10-5 overall and 3-3 in the NESCAC with its first loss in six matches, while No. 20-ranked Tufts improves to 7-7 overall and 4-3 in the league.
Tufts led, 2-1, after doubles play despite an 8-2 win by Bantam senior tri-captain Hillary Hoyt (New York, N.Y.) and freshman Melita Ferjanic (Samobor, Croatia) at the No. 1 spot. Both Ferjanic and Hoyt added singles wins at the top-two singles position, respectively, while first-year Morgan Feldman (Upper Brookville, N.Y.) earned a 6-3 triumph at No. 3 singles. The Jumbos took the bottom-three singles matches, all in straight sets, to claim the victory.
1. TC- Melita Ferjanic d. Katz, 6-1,. 6-2
2. TC- Hillary Hoyt d. Gann, score unavailable
3. TC- Morgan Feldman d. Bowman, 6-3, 6-0
4. TU- Hollender d. Regan Cherna, 6-3, 6-1
5. TU- Lam d. Senzo Mauve-Maphisa, 6-4, 7-5
6. TU- Worley d. Frances Cameron, 6-2, 6-2
1. TC- Ferjanic/Hoyt d. Bowman/Hollender, 8-2
2. TU- Gann/Katz d. Feldman/Mauve-Maphisa, 8-3
3. TU- Lam/Schonfeld d. Cherna/Elizabeth Gerber, 8-3
Tufts 5, Trinity (Conn.) 4