Trinity Women's Tennis Loses To Bowdoin For First West Coast Loss
Claremont, Calif. - Trinity College senior co-captain Hillary Hoyt (New York, N.Y.) and first-year Melita Ferjanci (Samobor, Croatia) won at first doubles and junior Senzo Mauve-Maphisa impressed with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph at No. 5 singles in a 7-2 loss to the Bowdoin College Polar Bears in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) women's tennis action this afternoon at the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges. Trinity, ranked No. 8 in the Northeast and No. 21 in the nation, falls to 3-2 with its first loss in four matches and its first loss (3-1) of its current West Coast swing, while the Polar Bears, ranked No. 3 in the Northeast and No. 10 nationally stay perfect at 7-0 overall with the win in their first league match.
Ferjanic/Hoyt's hard-fought 9-8 victory at No. 1 doubles that included a 7-2 win in the tiebreaker cut the Bowdoin lead in half at 2-1 after doubles competition. Two quick singles wins by the Polar Bears pushed Trinity's backs against the wall, but Mauve-Maphisa's strong performance delayed the decision. Both Ferjanic, playing against the No. 9-ranked singles player in the region, at No. 1 and Hoyt at No. 2 rebounded from 6-3 losses in their respective opening sets to tie 1-1 before falling in a deciding third set. Trinity junior Regan Cherna (Bronxville, N.Y.) won her first set at the No. 4 singles spot, 6-3, but lost the next two sets, 6-2, 6-3.
1. B- Kellen Alberstone d. Melita Ferjanic, 6-3, 6-1, 2-6
2. B- Chantalie Lavertu d. Hillary Hoyt, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. B- Tiffany Cheng d. Morgan Feldman, 6-0, 6-0
4. B- Kate Winningham d. Regan Cherna, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. TC- Senzo Mauve-Maphisa d. Emma Lewis, 6-2, 6-4
6. B- Emma Chow d. Frances Cameron, 6-0, 6-1
1. TC- Ferjanic/Hoyt d. Chow/Lavertu, 9-8 (7-2)
2. B- Alberstone/Lewis d. Cameron/Feldman , 8-6
3. B- Cheng/Winningham d. Cherna/Gerber, 8-0
Bowdoin 7, Trinity (Conn.) 2